Total announces start-up of the Glenelg field
Aberdeen, 29 March 2006
TOTAL E&P UK Limited announces that the Glenelg Field commenced production on 28 March 2006. The field is located approximately 240km east of Aberdeen in North Sea Block 29/4d and is operated by TOTAL E&P UK Limited, on behalf of the co-venturers.
The Glenelg gas-condensate discovery was made in January 1999 and, in summer 2004, became the 300 th field to receive development approval from the DTI. A technically complex development, the Glenelg reservoir is 5600 m below sea level, and is the deepest, highest temperature and highest pressure field developed to date in the UK North Sea. It has been developed with a single, highly deviated well, 7.3 km in length, drilled from the Elgin wellhead platform.
With potential to produce in excess of 30,000 boe/d, the well will maintain gas production from the Elgin/Franklin facilities at their capacity rate of 15.5 million m 3/d.
Michel Contie, Managing Director of TOTAL E&P UK Limited, said, “Glenelg is a highly ambitious project, needing cutting-edge technology, with some important components developed in Aberdeen. TOTAL’s expertise in High Pressure High Temperature projects and in highly deviated drilling has made it possible to develop the field without the need to build new infrastructure. Since the beginning of this year we have significantly increased our UK production by bringing on-stream satellite fields, such as Glenelg and Forvie North (located near the Alwyn North Field).”
Malcolm Wicks, Minister of State for Energy, said, “Glenelg epitomises the technical innovations and persistence that companies will need if they are to continue to enjoy success in the UK North Sea. It demonstrates that highly complex and demanding discoveries are not necessarily impossible to develop. Advances in technology and commitment have proved a successful combination for TOTAL and are going to be essential for the ultimate recovery of the UK’s North Sea oil and gas.”
More information on Glenelg
For further information:
Jenny Costelloe, TOTAL E&P UK Limited Telephone +44 (0)1224 297560 or +44 (0)7803 969839
Notes to Editors:
- Glenelg is located in block 29/4d, in water depth of 93m, 240 km east of Aberdeen and is 4 km from the Elgin wellhead platform, located in Block 22/30c. The total measured depth along the well bore is 7.3 km. Reservoir conditions are High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT), initially around 1150 bar and 200˚C. Well fluids will be processed on the Elgin PUQ (Processing, Utilities and Quarters) platform, to produce stabilized crude oil and commercial quality gas. The oil will be transported to Cruden Bay, via the Forties pipeline and the gas will be exported to Bacton via the SEAL pipeline.
- TOTAL E&P UK Limited is a leading oil and gas contract operator in the UK Continental Shelf and is a subsidiary of the TOTAL Group whose activities span some 130 countries in the world. Employing around 600 staff in its headquarters in Aberdeen, its portfolio includes operatorship of the Alwyn Area fields, the high pressure/high temperature Elgin/Franklin fields and the St Fergus Gas Terminal, together with a number of non-operated fields.
Partners in the Glenelg project, and their respective equities, are:
- Elf Exploration UK PLC, 49.47%
- E.ON Ruhrgas UK Exploration and Production Ltd18.57%
- BG International (CNS) Limited, 14.70%%
- GDF Britain Limited, 9.26%%
- Eni UKCS Limited, 8.00%